Join our military expert Wolfgang as he takes you on a journey back to the 16th century and all the way back to modern history. With a bag full of weapons, our guide will tell…
The Museum of Military History (HGM)- 20th century
The tour in short
In this tour at the Military History Museum our guide will take you through the exhibitions of the ground floor to tell you the complicated stories of the 20th century. Through the museum’s items you will learn about life in Vienna during and between the two World Wars.
- Child (6-12)
After exploring the upper floor of the military history museum, we now go to the entrance floor to explore the two major wars of the 20th century. Learn about the events that led to the wars, the weapons used and the devastating results for Austria. Explore the lesser-known stories about the period between the wars and the Austrian civil war. Lastly, hear the stories of Austria’s navy and one of the country’s worst investments.
- The 1st world war
- The Museum’s modern weapons collection
- The interwar period (the 20’s and 30’s)
- The darkest period in Vienna’s history
And much much more!
Why this tour?
Instead of taking an ordinary sightseeing tour, dig a bit deeper to learn the unique stories and secrets of Vienna’s main sites. These stories are new even to most locals and so this could be a great activity for anyone who wants to explore and learn about Vienna in a fun and entertaining way.
- Tour time: Please check the schedule on the right side of the screen to see the tour’s availability.
- Duration: The tour lasts approximately 2 hours.
- Guide: One of our awesome guides is looking forward to meeting you.
- Children: This tour is excellent for children who love stories, secrets and history.
- Accessibility: This tour is wheelchair accessible.
- What to wear: Comfortable shoes! Also, always check the weather forecast in advance to make sure you are dressed properly (you will be able to store your jackets and umbrellas at the museum).
Minimum number of participants: The tour takes place if at least 5 people are registered. In case there aren’t enough participants, the tour will get cancelled and a full refund will be issued to those who paid.
Cancellation policy: You can cancel your booking up to 48 hours in advance. No refund will be given to those who cancel less than 48 hours before the tour. Certain exceptions apply such as emergency situations. Please note, we reserve the right to cancel the tour up to 48 hours in advance too. We will do so if our guide is unavailable due to a sudden change or if we do not have the minimum number of participants required for the tour.
Pictures and videos: Please be aware that photos and videos may be taken during the tour. If you don’t want to appear in any Secret Vienna promotional pictures, please let us know by sending us a message.
Copyrights: The content of the tour is the result of the hard work done by our team of licensed guides. Recording the tour or taking pictures of artefacts and material used by the guide is strictly forbidden.
Do you have more questions?
Check our FAQ’s and find an answer to your question or send us your specific question via the form. Both the FAQ’s and the form you can find under the following link: