In this tour at the Military History Museum our guide will take you through the exhibitions of the ground floor to tell you the complicated stories of the 20th century. Through the museum’s items you…
The Museum of Military History (HGM)- 16th-19th centuries
The tour in short
Join our military expert, Wolfgang, as he takes you on a journey back to the 16th century and all the way back to modern history. Uncover the secrets of warfare and the impact of these wars on Austria in general, and Vienna in particular.
- Child (6-12)
A major theme which has repeatedly shaped Austria’s history is war. The impressive Museum of Military History is the leading museum of the Austrian Armed Forces. It documents the history of Austrian military affairs through a wide range of exhibits comprising a wide variety of weapons and other artefacts which enable us to better understand Austria’s past.
This tour of Vienna highlights important battles, figures, and weaponry used in these wars. This tour is perfect for history buffs or anyone wanting to learn more about Austria’s wartime past. Listen to fascinating commentary as we make our way through the Museum of Military History on this Secret Vienna tour.
- Introduction to the museum at the entrance hall
- Early weapons and their usage
- Warfare in Vienna throughout the centuries (16th-19th)
- Heroes and generals who impacted Vienna’s history
And much much more!
Why this tour?
Instead of taking an ordinary sightseeing tour, dig a bit deeper to learn the unique stories and secrets of Vienna’s main sites. These stories are new even to most locals and so this could be a great activity for anyone who wants to explore and learn about Vienna in a fun and entertaining way.
- Tour time: Please check the schedule on the right side of the screen to see the tour’s availability.
- Duration: The tour lasts approximately 2 hours.
- Guide: One of our awesome guides is looking forward to meeting you.
- Children: This tour is excellent for children who love stories, secrets and history.
- Accessibility: This tour is wheelchair accessible.
- What to wear: Comfortable shoes! Also, always check the weather forecast in advance to make sure you are dressed properly (you will be able to store your jackets and umbrellas at the museum).
Minimum number of participants: The tour takes place if at least 5 people are registered. In case there aren’t enough participants, the tour will get cancelled and a full refund will be issued to those who paid.
Cancellation policy: You can cancel your booking up to 48 hours in advance. No refund will be given to those who cancel less than 48 hours before the tour. Certain exceptions apply such as emergency situations. Please note, we reserve the right to cancel the tour up to 48 hours in advance too. We will do so if our guide is unavailable due to a sudden change or if we do not have the minimum number of participants required for the tour.
Pictures and videos: Please be aware that photos and videos may be taken during the tour. If you don’t want to appear in any Secret Vienna promotional pictures, please let us know by sending us a message.
Copyrights: The content of the tour is the result of the hard work done by our team of licensed guides. Recording the tour or taking pictures of artefacts and material used by the guide is strictly forbidden.
Do you have more questions?
Check our FAQ’s and find an answer to your question or send us your specific question via the form. Both the FAQ’s and the form you can find under the following link: